Thursday, February 10, 2011

The lettuce seeds are growing as expected.

I see that my neighbor, who has a wonderful Sun Room on the South side of his house, has lots of seedlings growing.  They are doing so well that I can see all the green lettuce leaves spilling over the pots as I drive by each day.

So...I started with some lettuce.  The first type I started is called Salad Bowl.   It is a non-heading lettuce that is slow to blot.  It is suppose to produce large, medium green leaves. 
These seeds were planted using Organic Seed Starting Jiffy-mix in aluminum roasting pans that I punched evenly spaced holes in the bottom of.  The seedlings here are one week old.




Here is a photo of these same seedlings at two weeks old.

Here are photos of the Salad lettuce now that it has been planted in individual red cups with holes punched in the bottoms.




I used Miracle Grow Organic Potting mix in the cups.

I am hoping that these lettuce plants make the transition to soil without any problems.  My main concern is watering.  I am watering only from the bottom, but I'm not sure how the water is suppose to get to the little roots way on top of the cup.  Does the soil pick up the water?  Not really sure.  Guess I need to wait to see if the soil drys up.


February 9, 2011
The butter salad bowl lettuce is growing second and third leaves.  I have 18 of these plants.  I'm not really sure how many I need to get enough lettuce for a family salad.  Guess I will soon find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment